CuernavacaInfo can coordinate your wedding, make hotel and transportation arrangements, anything you need!
Suggestions for your Destination Cuernavaca Wedding >>>
LEGALITIES ABOUT GETTING MARRIED
IN CUERNAVACA, MORELOS, MEXICO
Overview: Only a civil ceremony is legal in Mexico and it is necessary for the bride and groom to appear before the "Registro Civil" in
Cuernavaca, to go through the necessary formalites. You may do this up to 3 months in advance of the wedding,
we suggest not waiting until the last moment before your wedding. Visit at least a month or two in advance
to make sure you have all the required forms and to set the date with the judge to perform the ceremony.
The judge can appear at your wedding location. Budget about $3,500 pesos for this process. Marriages can also be
performed on the premises of the "Registro Civil".
Rules about getting married in Mexico
- An American or other foreigner wishing to be married in Mexico must present to the appropriate Civil Registry certain documents as described below. All documents from the U.S., except for the valid U.S. passport, must be authenticated by an American authority (usually the Secretary of State), from the state where they originated, who attaches an "Apostille" to the document.
- In Mexico, only civil marriage is recognized as legal. Persons wishing to do so may also have a religious ceremony, but it has no legal effect and does not replace in any way the legal binding civil marriage. A civil wedding in Mexico is fully valid for legal purpose in the U.S.
- Foreigners are not subject to a residence requirement but will have to identify themselves by a presentation of their tourist cards and of a valid passport and a copy of their birth certificates authenticated and translated as described in paragraph 1 above. Foreigners wishing to marry a Mexican citizen must first obtain permission to do so from the "Instituto Nacional de Migración" Secretaria de Gobernación (Ministry of Interior).
- Persons previously married must present proof of the termination of that marriage in the form of a divorce decree or death certificate. If the divorce or death took place outside of Mexico, it must be authenticated and translated. Divorced people cannot marry in Mexico until one year after the termination of the divorce.
- Persons under the age of eighteen cannot be married without the consent of their parents or legal guardians. If the parents or guardians cannot be present at the marriage, they must grant a power of attorney to another individual to exercise the parental consent at the ceremony. Under no circumstances can males under the age of sixteen, or females under the age of fourteen, be married in Mexico.
- A certified copy of the marriage certificate (Acta de Matrimonio) prepared by the Registro Civil should be obtained from that office after the marriage has been performed. It is desirable to have the document authenticated by the corresponding Mexican authority, by means of the "Apostille", when applicable.
Director General del Registro Civil in Cuernavaca
Juan Matías Garibay Velasco
Tel: 322-1621 or 322-4593 (777 area code, 52 country code)
Calle de la luz # 88
Col. Chapultepec, Cuernavaca, Morelos
Examples of forms that will be required to complete
Originals to be obtained at the Registro Civil at the Cuernavaca address above
Requirements - Spanish
Requirements - English
What and where to present
Copy of a form
Copy of a form
Arranging date and place
information provided by
we can help arrange your wedding, make hotel and transportation arrangements, anything you need!
We have a variety of wedding locations, including the famous Las Mañanitas and
boutique inn Hotel Casa Colonial. Contact CuernavacaInfo.com
using the form below and we will contact you right away.
Information on this site is subject to change
Brought to you by CuernavacaInfo Wedding Planners